Who we are
The Pan Mersey Area Prescribing Committee (APC) is a professional group consisting of GPs, Pharmacists, and other key healthcare professionals. We seek to identify and champion the appropriate use of medicines across Merseyside taking into account cost effectiveness, quality, equity and above all, patient safety.
The Committee is responsible for making recommendations of medicines, especially high cost medicines, across the Merseyside and Warrington footprint.
The Pan Mersey APC believes in the following values:
Ensuring a safe and cost effective use of medicines across Merseyside to increase the health of our population.
To ensure there is a transparent and fair decision making process.
All medicines are assessed for clinical effectiveness and cost effectiveness so we can ensure best value for money and full use of resources.
Most of the information on this website is intended for healthcare professionals. Members of the public seeking advice on medicine related issues are advised to contact their GP, pharmacist or nurse. Alternatively, they may call 111 for the NHS non-emergency service.
The Midlands and Lancashire Commissioning Support Unit (MLCSU) works in collaboration with the Pan Mersey Area Prescribing Committee (APC) providing medicines commissioning support. The full range and scale of expert support and how MLCSU deliver success to its customers can be found on the MLCSU website: Medicines Management and Optimisation.
- Robust assessment of the evidence base for proposed commissioning of medicines along with mechanisms to engage with clinicians and commissioners across the whole of the Pan Mersey Health Economy.
- Development of a joint health economy formulary and relevant guidelines for prioritised conditions.
- Provision of shared care frameworks and prescribing support information to support GPs who agree to accept prescribing responsibility for prescribing medicines with which they would not normally be familiar.
- Identification and assessment of patient safety concerns with supporting documents to support the safe use of medicines across the healthcare interface.
- Specialist collaboration on the development of antimicrobial prescribing guidance for primary care clinicians across the whole of Cheshire and Merseyside.
Documentary support for decisions taken at the monthly APC meeting are published by the MLCSU Mersey team on a monthly basis.